Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Reasoning daily in the Scriptures (cont'd...)



Men:
Here's the email response from my doctor friend Robin in Colorado. You may want to re-read my original post again and you will note that she does not offer any rebuttal to my questions regarding the reconciliation of evolutionary thinking and the laws of thermodynamics. Instead, she throws a whole lot of junk about the Bible Jesus and the disciples that's completely unsubstantiated. My reply follows.

How would you respond?

But before you read on, Word up. Get wisdom and understanding. Buy the Truth. Here's what King Solomon said:

Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise,And apply your heart to my knowledge;
For it is a pleasant thing if you keep them within you; let them all be fixed upon your lips, so that your trust may be in the Lord; I have instructed you today, even you. Have I not written to you excellent things of counsels and knowledge, that I may make you know the certainty of the words of truth, that you may answer words of truth to those who send to you?
--Proverbs 22:17-21

Love u guys,
tarik

Hi Tarik-
Most doctors do believe in evolution. You stated that one of us is wrong. Why is that? Could it be that neither of us is right or wrong? Does it really matter? I'm entitled to my views as you are yours. We have both formed our view points based on our unique life experiences.

I prefer not to judge. Evolution and the belief in G-d are not exclusionary. I know the church will tell you so as a scare tactic, but you can believe in BOTH G-d AND evolution and still be a spiritual and loving soul.

The only thing I care about is leaving this earth a better place. I believe in love. I don't believe in judging people. Differences in opinion are what make this earth an interesting and better place to live. I believe that if two people are inlove, it doesn't matter what sex they are, or what the color of their skin is.

I would rather base my opinion on what they do in their lifetime for others and to benefit humanity as a whole than who they choose to love and who they chose to worship if they choose to worship at all. I would rather not spend my time passing judgement on people. I would rather accept everyone for who they are- differences are beautiful and they make the world a unique place. I believe a woman has the right to do what she wants with her own body, just as you have the right to do what you want with your own body.

You speak of the bible, but there are many sources people turn to, the koran, the old testament, the new testament, scientific journals etc, etc. The interesting thing about the bible is that it was written hundreds and hundreds of years after Jesus died by people just like you and me. The men who wrote the bible had never met Jesus nor had they had even met anyone even remotely related to Jesus. The third most popular religion in the world is atheism- or not even believing in G-d.

None of us know who is right or wrong, and maybe all of us are wrong in what our "beliefs" are. But does that really matter anyways? To me, it matters what we do each and every day to make the world a better place to live in. And for me that is accepting everyone and trying to help those less fortunate than me. Perhaps your views are different, and I accept them b/c I don't know any better than you, and you don't know any better than me. But I am not going to force my perpective on you, as I would hope you would not force your perspective on me. This is not Nazi germany where differences are persecuted.

Religion is supposed to be INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE, and when it becomes about being who is right and who is wrong than it defeats the entire purpose of religion, because judgement is the basis of righteouseness and hatred, and that is what starts hatred and killings. Every war we have had has been based on religion and supposed "differences".

Sorry for being so long winded, but no one really knows, and our time is much better spent on helping people than trying to figure out who is "right" or who is "wrong", b/c there is a good possiblity we are all wrong. Actions are much more important than words anyways.
Much love-
Robin


“You stated that one of us is wrong. Why is that? Could it be that neither of us is right or wrong? Does it really matter?”

Robin:
If you believe in relativism then both of us can be right. However, I believe in absolute truth. You asked whether it really matters; I say yes it does, but apparently it doesn’t really matter to you.

You did not offer any rebuttal to my points about the laws of thermodynamics which contradict evolution. I was more interested in learning why you believe what you believe.

I’d be happy to pick up our discussion anytime you like. Jesus loves you and so do I.

tarik

2 comments:

Luke Roque said...

Go Tarik! I loved the way you didn't even address all the crap she had to say about the Bible and just stated that she hadn't talked about the issue - which was evolution. Your firm but gentle response was great but that woman just needs prayer -- she is just lost. Lord soften her heart to receive the Truth of who you are in Jesus' name!

Anonymous said...

Dude, what? Thats a sweet conversation. Although her talking ponts I have heard before. Jesus is love, so she's more of a Christian than she knows. She should research the Korans and Muslim teachings on women and gays. Whats with not spelling G-D? There's power GOD. Kudos for being so soft and gentle. TG