Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update from Kyle

Hey men,
Wow, I can't believe I figured this blog thing out. First time. Guys, I'm so stoked to have heard from a few of you in the time I've been up here in Seattle. The Lord has just been working overtime up here with the city and the people in it.

For those of you who haven't been up in this area, it's a totally different place than Carp. I miss the little town I grew up in as a kid, surfing, skating, getting into trouble and just being in paradise. But there is a beauty and treasure up here just waiting to be revealed. Just for starters, Seattle is "the most educated city in the nation" with more residents who have a college degree than any other city in the nation. There are more dogs than children, and Christians up here. Seriously. It is a place where you go to heaven if you recycle and vote for Obama, not that either one of those things is bad in itself, but just to give an idea. There is such an anti-establishment undercurrent here that questioning truth and authority seem to be the norm.

As you might imagine, being a Christian here is not popular. It's really weird. There honestly is some persecution up here for standing up and proclaiming Jesus as Lord and calling people to follow his Truth. Even just loving on people as He calls us to is seen as kind of weird.

But I'm digging it hard core! The Lord has been working on me hard up here. I got plugged into an incredible church that seriously is changing the streets each day. If you want to check it out, just visit www.marshillchurch.org. Pastor Mark is our preaching pastor, and it's a big church, but the community and movement it has is being used by Jesus like nothing I've seen before. On any give Sunday, there are about 5,000 people who attend any one of 4 services at our main campus.

My life has been so blessed you guys. After much prayer and encouragement from you guys, I've gotten engaged, found a job, and moved into my first place ever. God is so gnarly. After praying all summer and fall for a job to come, the Lord delivered in perfect time and place. I work for the Pacific Coast Feather Co. (www.pacificcoast.com) and am loving it. The people here are great to work with and the job couldn't be more fun. I am learning tons each day.

The apartment I moved into is a rad little place in the city. It is a killer little place in a rad part of town and the Lord was so good in helping me find it. It will be the perfect place for Brittney and I to start our life together.

And the raddest part - being engaged. Well, being engaged has definately been very hard and a trying time for both Brittney and I, but only through the Holy Spirit's help and direction, we are better than yesterday and looking towards Him always. We have grown in ways that we didn't imagine, communicating better, become more intimate without any of the physical sin blocking our way, and just living for Him as a couple! He has taught me a lot about my role as a leader and one day guiding our family more and more towards Jesus.

I have met up with a great community group filled mostly with people in their early 20s. Because of the huge need for community groups at Mars Hill, the set up is a little different. We don't really have community group seasons, as they just run all year long and people stay with the same one - once they find a group they fit with. That being the case, we have a method called "replication" where more community groups are formed by the splitting off of pre-existing groups. To better explain, the group I'm now part of will eventually split into two separate different groups once our numbers are consistently around 20 people each week. And by God's humor and perfect plan, he has put me in the place of "apprentice." This basically means that when our group is ready to split, I will become one of the new community group leaders. I have had some amazing time with a few of the leaders at church and they have poured into me unceasingly. The whole idea of walking as Jesus walked is to create disciples, and as men and leaders we are called to do the same that He did. This is the idea at Mars Hill - to be constantly pouring out into people and raising up new disciples, so that ultimately, this dark and sin-filled city will serve God like never before. It's like a hurricane here boys! There is so much going on and I hope you all have time to come and make a trip up at some point. I would be more than happy to set you up at my place and hang out whenever.

I didn't have addresses for you all, but just to make it known, you are all invited to the wedding this summer. We are getting married Sunday, August 10th at 6 PM on Mercer Island (just 2 minutes east of downtown Seattle). I know it's a trip, but I wanted you to all know you are loved and thought of. I miss Monday nights with you guys, singing, talking, learning, laughing and loving. You have all played such a huge role in God's plan for my life. I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but I know you were ALL instrumental in setting a solid foundation for my faith. In a time when I was brand new in my walk, you stayed on me, preached the truth and encouraged me to follow you all in the march towards our perfect Lord. I hope to hear from you guys soon. I will definately keep checking back on this blog thing and letting you know what's happening. Until then, I'll keep holding down the Pacific Northwest until Jesus has His day. Later on gentlemen!

Peace and love in Him,
Kyle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyle, what a sweet update. You are truly blessed in many ways and writing is one of them. I'm glad to hear the scoop there. Please stay in touch. We want to try to get to the wedding, we'll see. Seattle is special in my heart being that I went to Seattle Central, lived on Capital Hill off of Harvard Ave and worked at Chandlers Crabhouse. My stomping grounds are just over the mountain in Spokane and I feel the same way about that place. SOOO glad you are up there. Thanks for holdin it down and be encouraged, because as you so eloquently said, the Lord will have His way and we want to be found fightin the good fight of faith.. Much Love Taylor

1 John 2:6 said...

Wow. I'm so happy and excited for you Kyle. You are such a blessing to me and all of the guys...I'll never forget the night you came to men's group and announced that you decided to quit your job and really trust in the Lord...and the crazy thing is that we all were like, "Praise the Lord!" Just another testimony to how great and caring our God is and how involved He is in our lives. I received the wedding invitation, thanks--unfortunately I will not be able to make it but would like to make a trip up there eventually. Thanks for blogging on. I love you brother.
tarik