Thursday, September 4, 2008

Reasoning daily in the Scriptures...






Men,

It's been too long since I've made a post but this one will make up for it (at least in length!) Before you read this know that you will also be faced with the same situation soon...there is no way out of it other than to communicate your belief in a way that will encourage others to reconsider their position. Scatter the seed and let the Lord do the watering and provide the growth. Jesus said, "The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves."--Luke 10:2

So here's the background: I've recently reconnected with many old high school friends on Facebook. One of them in particular is a doctor in Colorado who's name is Robin. She made a comment regarding Sarah Palin...here it is:

"Robin just learned that sarah palin believes in teaching creationism in public schools- i feel like we are going backwards in time instead of forwards..."

My response (Tarik): So where do you think we came from? Just curious...

Her reply (Robin): Hi Tarik-
I'm a doctor, and like all doctors and scientists, we believe in studies and facts. Therefore, I believe firmly and without a doubt in evolution, based on the 100's of years of scientific research, based on 100's of books I have read, as well as the dissection of human bodies and animals bodies. (both dead of course- I don't value certain lives over others)
I'm sure you knew the answer to this before you asked, as most people in the world believe in evolution, so just curious why did you ask?

My reply (Tarik):
Hi Robin!

Thanks for your email. To answer your question, I was asking because I was genuinely curious to know exactly what you believe. I believe there are many things we could agree upon and likewise many things we would disagree. With that said, I assume we are both seeking truth.

I’m sure that you would agree with me there are many different world views (i.e. Biblical, evolutionary, etc…) to subscribe to in the world today. I did not know you are a doctor but I believe it would be an inaccurate statement to say, “…all doctors and scientists…and most people in the world believe in evolution.” Certainly, there are many doctors and scientists who believe that we are created by God. I’m not in the medical community but I know of many who share this belief—I’m sure you also know of some as well.

But even if the entire medical and scientific community did believe in evolution, it still doesn’t make it true or “fact” as many textbooks and journals state. At one point in history, the general consensus of many scientists believed the Earth was flat—and they were wrong. Scientific theory originates from or is supported by observations in the natural world, or by experimental evidence. It is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. To that end, evolution has never been “observed”, “tested” and is certainly not “fact.”

You stated, “I believe firmly and without a doubt in evolution…” Really?! Without a doubt?! As a doctor, you must have studied the laws of thermodynamics. Law #1: Matter cannot be created or destroyed. How does this fit with an evolutionary world view? Law #2: Law of entropy (i.e. order to disorder or chaos) Many scientists believe the universe is coming undone or “winding down.” The theory of evolution requires just as much faith (in my opinion, even more) than to believe that creation speaks of a Creator. These 2 points alone warrant “doubt” into the minds of an evolutionary thinker.

Unfortunately, one of us is wrong. You mentioned that you’ve read “100’s of books and rely upon 100’s of years of scientific research.” I’ve also read many books but rely on one in particular, namely the Bible which dates back approximately 6,000 years ago. I have discovered numerous historical and scientific claims the Bible makes which are supported by archeological finds, actual places that are still in existence today, even governmental records from the neighboring kingdoms that surrounded Jerusalem throughout history that support Biblical accounts.

I don’t want to take up anymore of your time as I know how busy life can be. But I am interested in understanding the basis for your conclusions. I believe that our destiny is ultimately shaped by two things: 1. How we view life - (i.e. Where did we come from? Where are we going when we die? What’s my purpose in life?); and, 2. How we respond to it – (i.e. Where do you turn to in times of trouble? Why do good things happen to bad people? Why is there suffering in the world?) I don’t know the answers to life’s problems but I sure do know the One who does. And that’s who & what I rely upon.

Much love,
tarik

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me broseph?!!!? Thats an amazing example of not shying away from the truth. Stories like this just make me want to ask everyone why they believe what they believe. As a matter of fact.. I'm gonna post. Good job in putting effort into someone's salvation. C U Monday.. TG

1 John 2:6 said...

Tarik, That's rad brother! I appreciate you posting that, as it's really convicting to me that I should be spending more time on others and pouring out into them as opposed to staying busy with all of my "super important" stuff. Deffinately a reminder to stay in the business that God gives us, as opposed to the busyness that Satan loves to pull us down in.

Let us all know how this conversation keeps going. I'd love to hear more. Thanks again bro. Love you.

Kyle